Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Gila Valley Temple

I love the temple. Just over a week ago Mark and took the kids and drove almost 3 hours to the Gila Valley Temple open house. The kids were so excited to be able to go INTO a temple. The temple is in a valley settled by LDS pioneers and the area that Spencer W. Kimball lived. Mountains on all sides and farm land along the river; It felt a bit like being home, in the Snake River Valley. The temple is on the high way with farms on all sides. It was beautiful, as expected. I loved the wonder in the eyes of Paul and Claire at the incredible murals, art work and beauty that surrounded them. I could feel so clearly the realness and nearness of being in the house of God with my sweet 14 year old daughter, that is growing up so fast. I could feel her desire to be there, that day and in days to come. I got a little worried as before we entered the celestial room as we were asked to be silent. Sophie as a two year old is rarely silent. As we entered she looked up at the magnificent chandelier and made her only comment almost whispered,"Oh, a big one." As we stood there I felt the great joy of being in that sacred place with my dear children with me. The hope, joy and the realness of this family being able to be together forever. Also the deepest, truest prayer that I can do all I can to help that happen. The pleading that all of this will touch their hearts and they will share this desire.

As we started home I had the desire to turn around a do it again. I enjoyed hearing what the kids liked and remembered on the way home.

A week later I was able to be in the Mesa Temple with my sweetheart to do sealings. What a blessing to have the temple close, just 15 minutes from our house. The temple feels like the air to breathe. I feel it change me, Mark and our family. Mark was to leave for China the next day, there was so much to be done, yet it was the place we had to be.

Then today broadcast to all Arizona stake centers in place of sacrament meeting was the Gila Valley Temple Dedication. Holly and I were able to go together and have a temple experience in our regular ward building, listening to apostles and a Prophet of God. And again enjoy that sweet spirit with my Holly by my side. The Prophet said he is always saddened with the scripture that states that Jesus had no room to lay his head. In our day we have rooms for sleeping, eating, watching tv and playing games. He pleaded with us to make room for the Savior in our lives. Truly the temple is His house it testifies of Him. I was thrilled to shout and sing His praises today. I am to grateful to live when I do and be able to enjoy the blessings of the fullness of His gospel. I am grateful for living prophets and apostles, that teach us to turn to the temple. I am grateful for these temple experiences with my children.

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful! Since our temple is three hours away, we always go without our children and they rarely see a temple. It wasn't until we went to Nauvoo while mom and dad were here that I realized how much they were missing out on. As we approached the temple, and in Nauvoo it's hidden from sight until you're right beside it, there was all this anticipation. Then the moment we saw it, the car fell silent. Soon James was telling Grace he could feel the spirit and was asking her if she could. It was one of the best mother moments of my life. It also made me realize that we need to plan trips like this so my kids can see the temple themselves. Just seeing us go or talking about it isn't the same. I'm so glad you guys got to go. What a great experience for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey ... I just noticed that we have the same blog background! Mine disappeared the other day and I liked this one the best. I guess we have good taste, huh? Hope things are going well for you! Miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete