Sunday, September 25, 2011

Pears

Well fall is here. With it comes the desire to spend hours and hours in a steamy kitchen with boxes and boxes of fruit. Living in the land of great heat, all of our fall fruit comes from Utah.  When I was making my order I heard that this year I could get pears.  I had tried pear sauce but never canned any.  I had heard sweet tales of pear jelly.

Paul loves the tales of Mr. Putter and Tabby. If you have not heard of these go down to the library  and check them out. They are good for a laugh. Just the week before we had enjoyed Mr. Putter and Tabby Pick the Pears. In the book Mr.Putter is longing for pear jelly. But has cranky old man legs and can't climb the ladder. So he comes up with another plan to get the pears out of the tree. It doesn't work so well and the book closes with him still longing for pear jelly. Paul kept remarking that pear Jelly must be really good.  So I decided to try out pears.


I had read that you could do anything with pears that you do with apples. Well I found out that was mostly true. Pears are way juicer than apples. So as I made the pear sauce the side product was pear juice. Perfect for pear jelly. It was all very yummy. So yummy that after three days to recover from canning, I ordered more pears.

No comments:

Post a Comment