Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A Thanksgiving full of sweet

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving visit, from my parents. The time came and went so fast. We are grateful for the time we had. It was great to have Mom's help with the pie making. It was a bit like a pie re-training class. This Christmas I get to try out my new pie skills on my own. We'll see how I do. Mom is amazing. On Wednesday before Thanksgiving Mark, my Dad and myself went to help at the Bishop's Storehouse. Mark was back in the cooler with gloves and a coat, Dad restocked shelves in the front and I got to take shoppers around and fill their carts with food. It was such a sweet blessing to help and to be reminded of how much I have, and how little it takes to be happy and good. I am so grateful didn't stay home and prepare for my own feast the next day and miss this chance to serve. On Thanksgiving day we took everyone to the park for a game of whiffle ball (a new family favorite) while the turkey cooked. We practiced hitting and running to the right base. Grandma and Grandpa held their own with some great hits from both of them. The kids loved this time playing together. Our house was built in an old orange grove. The park has lots of the old orange trees. Grandpa found some ripe trees and we ate and ate oranges. We loaded up the wagon and took them home and he peeled oranges every morning for everyone the rest of his time here. They were all sweet and tender. His comment was "I have never had all the oranges I could eat." Sunday night we took them to see the lights at the Mesa Temple. Wow! they are as good as the ones in SLC. Grandpa had stories about the chicken every night at bedtime and Grandma was there to take care of every little need. The kids miss them. Sophie asks for them and then answers her own question, "They had to go home to check on the chickens." Truly these two are a sweet blessing to me and my family. I am thankful for my parents.

Claire and Paul show off their Thanksgiving art projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment